Top Ten Fire Code Violations
- Fire hydrants located on your property must be visible and accessible at all times, with three feet of clearance on all sides and no parking within 15 feet unless regulatory signs allow closer parking.
- Street Address must be clearly marked and visible (minimum size 4” in contrasting color) from the street fronting the property.
- Electrical extension cords cannot be used as a substitute for permanent wiring. Extension cords are only approved for “temporary use”. Multi-outlet power strips must be plugged directly into the wall receptacle and listed by U.L. or another testing agency.
- Electrical outlets, junction boxes, and circuit breaker panels must be covered, and outlets and junction boxes must have the appropriate cover plates.
- Emergency lights and exit signs must work properly and function in both normal and emergency power modes. Lighted exit signs must be lit at all times.
- Aisles, walkways, stairways leading to exits must be clear of storage and obstructions.
- Fire extinguishers must be mounted, visible, readily accessible and serviced every twelve months.
- Fire suppression systems for commercial cooking operations (hood systems) must be serviced and tested at least every six months my a licensed fire protection contractor
- Fire sprinkler and fire alarm systems must be serviced and tested every twelve month by licensed fire protection contractor.